How cool is this?
Apparently, Plato one day somewhere between 428 – 348 BCE got together with Socrates to discuss ‘what is courage‘.
I’d like to think the get together went something like this:
Plato: ‘Socrates, fancy a pint tonight, once you’re done, you know, thinking?’
Socrates, ‘Yeah mate, that would be great, but just a quickie, not an all-nighter!’
They came up with this:
Courage: a sort of endurance of the soul.
I think they may have had one too many by this point. But I like it. An endurance of the soul, it makes me want to put on a Tori Amos album. Deep guys, deep. Must have been a heavy night on the lash.
I know we all have big stuff going on that requires us to hoist up our big girl/boy panties and go for it every now and then.
But what about the little stuff?
- Sticking to our convictions.
- Showing up for ourselves.
- Saying sorry when we’re in the ‘wrong’.
- Taking a risk to say what we really feel and not follow the status quo.
- Pursuing how we want to feel moment to moment, not just our future dreams.
- A smile. A hug. Listening.
- Encouraging others, inspiring in them the confidence to stand up for what they believe in.
- Developing our ideas, talking about them even if it feels silly or slightly awkward.
- Not listening to the critics, naysayers and opinion makers.
Make courage an everyday action. Small doesn’t always mean insignificant, the smallest acts can create the most powerful shifts.